A SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY FOR 3RD-5TH GRADERS TO DO SOME DEEP THINKING!
Salt Academy Curriculum
Includes elements from the Science Assessments such as:
- Geology – classifications of rocks, property identification and understanding of the geological environment underground
- General knowledge about mining of rock salt and how it is used
- Introduction of concepts such as the importance of airflow in the mine and how people, machinery, and salt move around the mine
- Understanding of how miners are environmentally responsible and of mine safety practices
- Use of higher level thinking skills throughout
Materials provided to teachers for classroom use via web site:
- Pre-tour information and activities
- Simple hands-on experiments demonstrating chemical reactions that can be conducted in your classrooms
- Links to resources about salt
About Salt Academy
Allow 2.5 hours from early arrival at Strataca until back on the bus. After descending 650 feet underground on the hoist, students will experience a walking tour that is handicap accessible. It includes a guided tour of the Galleries, plus an area only available to school groups where students will be able to choose a souvenir piece of salt. Also included is a tour of the Underground Vaults and Storage exhibit. A stop in the gift shop must be requested in advance and adds 30 minutes to your time underground.
We can accommodate 90 students per day from one school OR 60 students for a morning tour and 60 students for an afternoon tour. Groups of 30 will depart 20 minutes apart.
$8.00 per student. One adult per 12 students is required and free. Additional adults up to, but no more than, the number of free chaperones can accompany the group at the chaperone rate of $12 when booked and paid with the group. Extra parents will not be allowed to purchase tickets for this special educational experience. (Prices do not include tax.)
NOTE: School rates apply to groups of 12 or more students only.
Book Your Adventure Now
or toll free 866-755-3450